Shipped to New Zealand in July 1944, NZ1092 began a long life in the RNZAF and joined the NZ Warbirds scene as ZK-WAR in September 1978. The Harvard (ex USAAF 42-84725; ex RAF EZ361) is based at Ardmore.
NZ7004 performing a Khe Sanh-approach and swooping in low over the Wither Hills for a touch-and-go on RWY-30. The venerable 40 Squadron machine was based at nearby RNZAF Base Woodbourne as support aircraft for the RNZAF Kiwi Blue Parachute display Team.
Graham Bethell’s P-51D-30NA is ex USAAF 44-74829 and ex RCAF 9265. The Mustang is in the c/s of No.3 (Canterbury) Squadron. The original NZ2415 served briefly with this unit from June 1952 until a landing accident at Wigram on 23 January 1954.
No.24 Squadron, RFC, operated the DH.2 from January 1916 until June 1917 from bases in France, including St. Omer, Bertangles, Chipilly and Flez. The original aircraft was part of a batch of 100 built by the Aircraft Manufacturing Co. Ltd. in Hendon.
ZK-VNM ‘WE434/L' is in the colours of No.14 Squadron, RNZAF, as based at RAF Tengah, Singapore, during the ‘Malayan Emergency’. The RNZAF’s Venoms were on loan from the RAF and were returned when No.14 Squadron was withdrawn to New Zealand in 1958
Harvard IIa NZ1053 (ex USAAF 41-33769; ex RAFEX796) is owned by the Harvard 53 Syndicate, Auckland. The Mark IIa Harvards were originally delivered with wooden rear fuselages and tailplanes, but these were later replaced by metal components.
ENJ of the Roaring Forties Team. The red and white checkers once graced the Harvards of the RNZAF Red Checkers, formed in 1967: the first Checkers were F/L Thomas Lambert, F/L Roger Henstock, F/L Robin Klitscher, F/O Dick Metcalfe, and F/L Ken Gayfer.
Before coming to No.11 Squadron of the Air Training Corps, Hastings, in December 1975, this Rhönlerche had seen service with respectively the Tauranga and Waipukurau Gliding Clubs since her arrival in New Zealand in 1958.
Frank Parker in ZK-RFR on finals to RWY-30 with flaps down and reducing the speed to around 85 kts when over the fence. Despite the wide-track undercarriage landing requires utmost attention of the pilot. Parker prefers a tail-down wheeler landing.
NZ6254 joined No.2 Squadron at RNZAF Base Ohakea when the unit reformed in December 1984. This aircraft became the 2-seat prototype for Project Kahu. Note the unit badge on the top of the fin. On the port side is the tiki of No.75 Squadron.
Replica of 'Britannia', New Zealand's first military aircraft, built by David Comrie, Dunedin. The original aircraft made its first flight over the country from Epsom Showgrounds, Auckland, on 17 January 1914, piloted by Lt Joe Hammond.
Constructed at Omaka is this taxiable replica of 2-seat Bleriot XI-2 ‘Britannia’, the first military aircraft in New Zealand. The original was presented to the New Zealand Government by the Imperial Air Fleet Committee in 1913.
Stored with AvSpecs at Ardmore is this former US Navy J4F-2 Widgeon BuAerNo.37726. The F-2 was the 5-seater version of the F-1 for the US Navy. In total 131 aircraft of this version were constructed. This Widgeon came to New Zealand in May 1964.
Former Indonesian Air Force F-51 Cavalier/Mustang II F-367 (ex USAAF 44-74827) was rebuilt to her original P-51D standard at RNZAF Base Ohakea. She is on display as 'NZ2410', of No. 4 (Territorial Air Force) Squadron at Taieri from 1951-1955.
Brett Emeny’s T-28C wears the colours of VA-122 ‘Flying Eagles’ at NAS Lemoore, California. The T-28C had a strengthened undercarriage and an arrestor hook for carrier training. Its propeller blades were 9 inches shorter than those on the T-28B.
ZK-BHS is the second of six F.2b replicas built by Vern Ohmert of Michigan in the 1970s. Her first post-restoration flight was here at Omaka on 17 January this year, piloted by Ryan Southam, as also seen here landing the elegant Brisfit.
ZK-BHS (ex N34HC) ‘N3483’ is powered by a 200 hp in-line Fairchild Ranger 6-cylinder engine instead of a Rolls Royce V-12 of the Falcon I, II or III series, which originally powered most of the F.2B aircraft.
One of only 3 built, this WACO UOC is now the sole survivor. She was purchased new by the Marlborough Aero Club, registered ZK-AEL in May 1936. She was impressed into RNZAF service as NZ575 and joined the Communications Flight at Rongotai, Wellington.
This RE.8 reproduction was built by The Vintage Aviator Ltd (TVAL) of Wellington and represents ‘D’ of No.3 Squadron, Australian Flying Corps, as flown by Captain R.G. Francis from Poulainville near Amiens, France, in April 1918.
Harvard III NZ1087 is finished in the colours of Harvard II NZ948 of No.2 Service Flying Training School (SFTS), RNZAF Base Woodbourne. NZ948, one of 67 Harvard IIs ordered direct from the Inglewood factory, entered service with No.2 SFTS in July 1941.
Initially serialled A29-1050, the Kittyhawk became A29-449 on 9 August, 1943, and entered service with No.75 Squadron, RAAF, coded ‘GA-C’ as seen here, piloted by Frank Parker. On the starboard side ZK-CAG carries her original serial A29-1050.