Lt William T. Whisner scored 10.5 victories in P-51D 44-14237 in his second tour with the 352nd FG at RAF Bodney. On 21 November 1944 he downed five Fw 190’s, with another four Luftwaffe aircraft on 5 January 1945.
LZ766 was built in 1944 at Trafford Park, Manchester, by F. Hills & Sons and test flown at Barton. In 1949 the Proctor became G-ALCK. After some years with the Air Training Corps at Tamworth, the machine became part of the Skyfame Collection.
54-2165 represents an F-100D as flown by the 'Yellow Jackets', 352th TFS, 35th TFW, from Phan Rang AB in South Vietnam between 1966 and 1971. This aircraft was delivered new to the French Armée de l'Air in 1958 and never saw active USAF-service.
Delivered to the French Armée de l'Air in 1958, the aircraft served with EC-1/3 (coded '3-IG') and EC-2/11 (as '11-MB' and '11-ML') before being returned to the USAF at Sculthorpe in November 1975. On 17 May 1976, the aircraft came to Duxford.
This Grasshopper (USAAF 43-29854) is in the colours of the 381st Bomb Group operating B-17s out of Ridgewell, Essex, from May 1943 to June 1945. The emblem on the nose is that of the Group's 533rd Bomb Squadron. Little Rock-ette is based at Biggin Hill.
The fin flash colours of 'The Chief' represent those of the 55th (blue), the 77th (red) and 79th (Tactical) Fighter Squadrons of the 20th (Tactical) Fighter Wing. On 1 October 1991, the Upper Heyford-based wing was redesignated 20th Fighter Wing.
During its second flight following maintenance the Hawker Sea Fury T MK.20 as G-INVN made a forced landing following engine failure, near Button End, Cambridgeshire, 4th August 2020. The pilots survived!