For some 22 years the Freighters of No.41 Squadron, RNZAF, provided sterling service in the conflict zones of South East Asia. NZ5903 spent her last operational days with No.1 Squadron at Whenuapai. NZ5903 is seen here with her clamshell doors opened.
The Mk.31M Freighter was the military variant of the Mk.21 with provision for supply dropping. The large clamshell doors of the Freighter provided easy access to the (unpressurised) main hold, which had an internal volume of 2,020 cubic feet.
Former 18th FG P-40F in the process of being converted to Allison V-1710 engined P-40E in Wigram's Hangar 3, to represent RNZAF Kittyhawk Ia NZ3024 'FE-L' of 2 OTU at Ohakea. Now on display as unmarked 'NZ3000' in a generic RNZAF Pacific Theatre c/s.
The Air Force Museum of New Zealand commemorates the sacrifices of RNZAF Avenger crews with 'NZ2521' (actually TBF-1 NZ2504). TBF-1C NZ2521 and her crew were lost on 31st May, 1944, during a mission to Japanese-held Talili Bay, Rabaul.
The original Beaver NZ6001 was one of two aircraft serving on the ice from 1956 with the Trans-Antarctic Expedition and was lost in white-out conditions on the Beardmore Glacier on 15 January 1960. The 2 crew were rescued 5 days later by Auster NZ1707.
NZ203 is the sole survivor of the Avro Prefect, of which 4 aircraft were delivered to the RNZAF's 1 SFTS. From July 1985 NZ203 flew for some years as part of the RNZAF Historic Flight until troubles with the AS Cheetah V engine grounded this unique type.
Auster Aircraft Ltd., modified two T.7s for the Commonwealth Trans Antarctic Expedition. WE563 became NZ1707 with the RNZAF and served two tours in the Antarctic, the first from December 1956 - March 1958, and then from December 1959 - March 1961.
'NZ-825' is actually NZ-1481 (c/n DHN161), built by DHNZ at Rongotai in early 1944 and served with 2 EFTS (Ashburton) and 1 EFTS (Taieri) respectively. The Moth came to the RNZAF Museum Wigram in March 1987 and is displayed in the entrance hall as 'NZ-825
Flightdeck of Andover NZ7621. The Andover is ex RAF XS600 and was ferried to Auckland in May 1977. NZ6721 served with 42 Squadron and joined the RNZAF Museum at Wigram in 1996. NZ7621 is stored in Hangar 3.
TE288 came to New Zealand in April 1963. The Spitfire was mounted on a pole for display at the Brevet Club, Harewood, until March 1984. TE288 is now on display in 485(NZ)Squadron markings, coded OU-V 'Rongotea' to represent Spitfire TB625.
The Skyhawk in the RNZAF Museum is an A-4L (BuAerNo.149516) on long-term loan from the US Navy. The aircraft has been modified to represent an RNZAF A-4K. The original NZ6207 was lost in a crash at Bulls, near her base RNZAF Ohakea on 18 October 1974.
Former RAF FB.5 WA311 was transferred to the RNZAF in the autumn of 1953 as one of 8 attrition replacement aircraft. The Vampire served with 75 Squadron and later became an instructional airframe. It is on display at Wigram in 14 Squadron colours.