The original 2783 was built by Joucques Aviation Works (Twickenham and Willesden) in 1914 and served with 66 Squadron, as well as with 52 (Reserve) Squadron. The B.E.2c came to Boscombe Down in November 1917 and is known to have operated from Old Sarum.
T.10 WD321 served with the ETPS at Boscombe Down until early 1975. Converted to Chipmunk 22 and registered G-BDCC to the Coventry Gliding Club, the Chippie was damaged beyond repair in a forced landing at Husbands Bosworth on 29th August 1999.
In the early '60s XJ476 spent some years at Woomera, South Australia, for weapons trials before returning to the UK in 1963. XJ476 was damaged beyond repair in a landing accident at Boscombe Down on 21 September, 1973.
Assigned to 275 Squadron (renumbered 228 Squadron in 1959) XJ380 was on SAR duty based at Linton-on-Ouse before ending her days at the Catterick Fire School. In the early 1980s XJ380 moved to Finningley for display outside the SAR Wing headquarters.
On conclusion of her duties as a U.14, WH876 served with the A&AEE as a B.2(mod). Although the In flight refuelling probe suggested otherwise, the IFR system was never a 'wet' system on this particular aircraft.
WH876 was one of 6 B.2s converted to U.14 drone for use by 728B Squadron at Hal Far, Malta. A peculiarity of the type was the mid-grey cockpit interior. In later life WH768 served, as a B.2(mod), with the A&AEE and Martin Baker at Chalgrove.
Cockpit of XW560, the first British assembled protoype, with the PMD (Projected Map Display), as used in the GR.1 and T.2, in the centre. The projected map was a transparency of the standard RAF half million scale low flying chart.
Of the 28 Sea Harriers deployed to the South Atlantic in 1982, XZ457 became the topscoring aircraft during the Falklands conflict, bringing down 2 Argentinian Skyhawks and 2 Daggers. XZ457 was damaged beyond repair on 20th October, 1994.
Dual control T.4 WJ865 spent her whole flying career with the Empire Test Pilots School (ETPS) and the Aircraft & Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) and was based at both Boscombe Down and Farnborough.
WK800 made her last flight as a D.16 on 11 October, 2004. In her early life, she joined the RAAF’s 77 Squadron as A77-876. On return from the Korean War ‘876’ was converted to U.21 drone by Fairey Aviation at Bankstown, NSW, Australia.
In 1971 A77-876 returned to the UK taking up her former RAF identiy as WK800. Following equipment changes the U.21 was redesignated D.16 and used to train Jindivik controllers and for calibration flights.