ENJ of the Roaring Forties Team. The red and white checkers once graced the Harvards of the RNZAF Red Checkers, formed in 1967: the first Checkers were F/L Thomas Lambert, F/L Roger Henstock, F/L Robin Klitscher, F/O Dick Metcalfe, and F/L Ken Gayfer.
Before coming to No.11 Squadron of the Air Training Corps, Hastings, in December 1975, this Rhönlerche had seen service with respectively the Tauranga and Waipukurau Gliding Clubs since her arrival in New Zealand in 1958.
Frank Parker in ZK-RFR on finals to RWY-30 with flaps down and reducing the speed to around 85 kts when over the fence. Despite the wide-track undercarriage landing requires utmost attention of the pilot. Parker prefers a tail-down wheeler landing.
NZ6254 joined No.2 Squadron at RNZAF Base Ohakea when the unit reformed in December 1984. This aircraft became the 2-seat prototype for Project Kahu. Note the unit badge on the top of the fin. On the port side is the tiki of No.75 Squadron.
Replica of 'Britannia', New Zealand's first military aircraft, built by David Comrie, Dunedin. The original aircraft made its first flight over the country from Epsom Showgrounds, Auckland, on 17 January 1914, piloted by Lt Joe Hammond.
Constructed at Omaka is this taxiable replica of 2-seat Bleriot XI-2 ‘Britannia’, the first military aircraft in New Zealand. The original was presented to the New Zealand Government by the Imperial Air Fleet Committee in 1913.
Stored with AvSpecs at Ardmore is this former US Navy J4F-2 Widgeon BuAerNo.37726. The F-2 was the 5-seater version of the F-1 for the US Navy. In total 131 aircraft of this version were constructed. This Widgeon came to New Zealand in May 1964.